Greek Lentil Salad December 07 2017, 0 Comments
I recently discovered my love of lentils, so I decided to make them the star of this mason jar salad. Lentils contain a variety of nutrients and minerals as well as protein and cholesterol-lowering fiber at a relatively low calorie count. You can buy them in a bulk bin at your grocery store (and bring your own jar for a zero waste, healthy lunch ingredient).
Prep time: 45 mins
Yield: 5 servings
Serving size: 1 16oz mason jar
- 1/2 cup raw green lentils
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 large cucumber
- 1.5 cup of grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 red onion
- 5 cups of raw spinach
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 5 oz olive oil and vinegar
- Cook the lentils: rinse the lentils and then place into a saucepan with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool off.
- While the lentils are cooking, prep the other ingredients: cut the tomatoes in half, chop the cucumber and the onion, shred the carrots.
- Layer the ingredients evenly among 5 mason jars in this order: olive oil and vinegar, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, lentils, carrots, cheese, spinach, pumpkin seeds.
- Replace mason jar lids and store in the fridge, upright. Enjoy all week long!